Início em 01/10/2017 até 03/11/2017
River City Company, Cogent Studio and Public Art Chattanooga are seeking multi-disciplinary design team’s proposals. Up to three teams will be selected and awarded $3,000 stipends to further develop site speci c designs to activate the proposed alleyway and create a vibrant pedestrian corridor. The implemented design will enhance a new downtown alleyway in the heart of City Center, utilizing unique, innovative design concepts with a cohesive artistic vision. The project entails designing a spatial installation that is habitable and can be adapted for use as a small public event space. The installation must be designed for permanence and safe for public use. This opportunity is open to design teams internationally. Passageways 2.0 is made possible by generous grants from the Benwood and Lyndhurst Foundations. The receipt deadline is Friday, November 3, 2017 by 12:00pm EST. For more information visit: www.passagewayschattanooga.com
With the overwhelmingly positive community response to the original Passageways program, River City Company, Cogent Studio and Public Art Chattanooga aim to continue the momentum by presenting Passageways 2.0, a permanent installation focused on the urban fabric that exists between our city’s buildings.
Successful urban places relate well to the larger community context. They contribute to the broader environment by their location, partnership with other places, and interaction with immediate neighbors. Often overlooked and forgotten, alleyways play an important role in creating a healthy urban environment. Passageways 2.0 seeks to re-imagine the alleyway and demonstrate the potential and signi cance these in-between spaces have to our built environment.
The Passageways 2.0 alley will create interesting views to and from good public space, offering visual connections with landscape and the cityscape beyond. With the increase in residential development in City Center and a vibrant Innovation District, foot traf c throughout the area is growing. With limited open space in City Center, Passageways 2.0 and ongoing community events will provide opportunities for Chattanoogans to connect and feel part of a greater community.
Passageways 2.0 seeks to create a vibrant pedestrian corridor through the quality of design to establish a sense of place and community in Downtown Chattanooga’s City Center. The goal is to activate a new alleyway in the heart of Downtown Chattanooga between the 728 Market Street Residential Development (Market City Center) and the 700 block of Cherry Street (includes The CO-OP, Lamp Post Properties’ mixed use development, Burns Tobacco and Chattanooga Billiards Club) through a spatial installation.
• Experiential. Create a work of art that engages the user in a multitude of ways.
• Spatial. The installation should de ne space.
• Placemaking. The space should possess a sense of identity and character in order to create a sense of place.
• Beauty. The space should move us.
• Habitable. A positive place that is life-af rming, safe, and secure.
• Signi cance. A place that tells a story; one that is meaningful, and creates value, and enhances our own identity – a space with substance, weight, density, and depth.
• Connection. A place that connects to the larger community context and contributes to the broader environment, partners with other places, and interacts with its immediate neighbors.
• Gathering. The design should promote gathering at a small public scale. • Longevity. The installation is permanent and should be designed as such.
• Constructibility. The design must re ect a thorough understanding of how the installation will be fabricated and installed within the given budget.
RFP: SELECTION PHASE
SEPTEMBER 25 , 2017: RFP Distributed
NOVEMBER 3, 2017 – 12:00 PM EST: Deadline for Submissions
NOVEMBER 6, 2017 WEEK: Review of proposals by Design Jury
NOVEMBER 13, 2017: Review of proposals and evaluations by Selection Committee
PROPOSAL AND DESIGN DEVELOPMENT PHASE
DECEMBER 2017: Site Visits for selected teams
JANUARY – MARCH 2018: Further Design Development
MARCH 9, 2018: Proposed Concept Design Due
MARCH 12, 2018: Proposal Presentations (Video or in-person) MARCH 15, 2018: Selection Committee selects winning design team APRIL – MAY 2018: Finalize Design and Documentation Phase
CONSTRUCTION/FABRICATION & INSTALLATION
SUMMER 2018: Fabrication and Installation
SUMMER – FALL 2018: Project Completion and Grand Opening
DEADLINE: Friday, November 3, 2017 by Noon; EST
- Tema: Passageways 2.0